Tips to Spring Clean your Deck and Patio
How to Spring Clean your Deck or Patio
With warm weather just around the corner (hopefully) we are quickly approaching Spring Cleaning, that time of year you forget about the harsh winter and get ready for Summer. Regardless of weather you are having people over for St Pattys Day in March, Cinco de Mayo in May or 4th of July in July, it is never to early to dust off your outdoor furniture, wipe off cushions, clean flower pots and pressure wash your deck or patio.
Many homeowners we deal with will take care of cleaning their outdoor furniture as a do-it-yourself project and then call us in to handle the cleaning of the deck or patio. What you should keep in mind is that most powerwashing contractors can clean your outdoor furniture and cushions and will usually do so for a small additional charge. So, if you are planning on getting hiring a pressure washer for your patio or deck have the contractor come in for free quote and ask the additional cost for your furniture. If you decide to take on both projects on your own, read over the tips below.
Deck & Patio Cleaning Tips
- if renting a pressure washer read the operator’s manual and instructions as some surfaces require less or more pressure than others
- always wear closed-toed shoes and goggles as most pressure washers can cut through skin easily
- different surfaces require different cleaning products and different cleaning techniques so choose accordingly
- never spray near power lines, service feeds or electrical meters
- grip pressure washing gun with both hands to avoid a kickback injury
Buying & Renting Tips
- look for a pressure washer that is versatile and can be used for a variety of tasks
- a good pressure washer will have both a high pressure and low pressure mode for different tasks
- newer pressure washers offer lower emissions and better fuel efficiency
- choose a model that outputs at least 2.5gpm if you are pressure washing any concrete
- models are categorized in groups based upon usage frequency types of products and surfaces they are best suited for cleaning