Retaining Wall Pressure Washing
Retaining walls can enhance the aesthetic look of landscaping their main purpose is to control erosion and eliminate slopes. While concrete cinder blocks are ideal for retaining walls because of their strength and durability, exposure to soil, dust, dirt and water drainage will eventually lead to a dingy look. Wood and concrete retaining walls are also popular but mold and mildew is just as likely to appear at some point. The good news is pressure washing a retaining walls is one of the easier jobs. Because they are often only a couple of feet in height many homeowners can tackle the cleaning of a retaining wall as a do-it-yourself project.
How to Clean a Retaining Wall
- spray the retaining wall with a garden hose to remove lose dirt, dust and debris starting at the top and working your way down
- inspect the wall for bad stains or signs of mold and/or mildew
- fill a 5 gallon bucket with a 50/50 mix of hot water and bleach and add few ounces of dish soap
- scrub the walls with the soapy water using a soft tip scrub brush again cleaning from the top down
- use a pressure washier to rinse the wall of any remaining soap and debris
- allow the wall an hour or so to dry and repeat the process if necessary
Tips for Cleaning a Retaining Wall
- if you are cleaning a stone retaining wall a professional grade degreaser can help
- if you do not own a pressure washer one can be rented for the day at a local hardware store for under $100
- when using chemicals like bleach or a degreaser lay a tarp at the foot of the retaining wall to ensure that no surrounding vegetation is harmed
- if your retaining wall has white stains it is most likely efflorescence, which is the remnants of water evaporating from the concrete at is cures
- when using a pressure washer full blast is not needed
J&J Power Wash offers retaining wall pressure washing services. No matter how dirty your retaining wall is we can help. To set up a free estimate call us 215-703-8306 or fill out our online form. Click on the images below to enlarge them or visit our portfolio page for additional before and after pictures.